Sunday, May 16, 2010

TIM FRONCEK

JAZZ~
I visit a small town bar where there is this AWESOME Jazz Orchestra consisting of 16 members. They play there every other week . I LOVE their music, its mostly Big Band. The drummer is one of the best and most fantastic musicians I have ever heard. And loves to throw in a solo,or two.

Tim not only performs locally, but also tours internationally with the Western Jazz Quartet, performing throughout the Americas. Europe and Asia. Mr. Froncek is musical director with two ot the mid-west's premier big bands, the Muskegon based Orchestra " Truth in Jazz Orchestra" and the newly reorganized Grand Rapids Jazz Orchestra and he directs the jazz program at Blue Lake Summer Festival. He is an affiliate professor at Grand Valley State University and teaches on the Jazz Studies faculty at Western Michigan University. In fact , Tim has taught at every major university in the state of Michigan.

I was so moved when hearing them play I created this series of paintings. The style I painted in was also new for me, I added more movement, color, and had feeling for the music.
The painting is done is rich, luscious oils and varnishes. Painted on a birch plywood base , then coated with a heavy textured paste to give it a dimensional quality. Then the surface is coated with a gesso and the oils can begin. The size is 24"X24" . Sorry but this original was sold instantly. I do have prints you can purchase for $40 . I am working on painting all the members of the group. So keep your eyes